Sunday, February 20, 2011

The Career Yente

When the national tour of Fiddler on the Roof was in town recently at Proctor's Theater, I attended one of the Sunday matinees.  It was a wonderful show.  During the performance of "Matchmaker," I was struck by how different our life goals are just 4 generations after late 19th-century Russian shtetl life.
Actually, not so different for the 3rd generation removed.  On the trip north to drop me off at SUNY Albany for my freshman year, I was asked why I wasn't getting married and getting a job rather than attending college.  It worked out fine, despite the 3rd generation's concerns.  I finished college, established a career, and to my surprise, got married, albeit a little later in life than the 3rd generation preferred.

Also, unlike some of my contemporaries, I have absolutely no talent for romantic matchmaking.  Seriously.  Don't ask me to find you a date, it will not work out.

I do, however, love vocational matchmaking.  And I'm great it.  My hit rate is about 98% or better matching up the right candidate for the right job.  Either via the phone or face-to-face.  For profit (in one of my SME career workstreams as a recruiter), or even better, for fun.  Connecting potential business partners; employers and employees; and mentors and mentees.  At work, at social events, at church, you name it.  I hear and/or intuit the needs, the matchmaking wheels start to turn, and I start doing my vocational / business connector thing.  A Career Yente, if you will.

However, unlike the slightly kvetching tone of Fiddler on the Roof's "Matchmaker," I don't sit on my tush waiting for the Matchmaker to make me a match; I'm the Matchmaker, connecting my network and building our mutual success and reputation. And fortunately for me and my network, there are a number of us out there, constantly connecting the dots to support our mutual success.

Who will you connect this week to create new career and business opportunities?

No comments:

Post a Comment