Sunday, June 12, 2011

Show Up. Get a Job. Belong. Be Successful!

About a month ago, I shared the vocational / entrepreneurial adventures of some of my good colleagues as they discovered new opportunities just by shutting off their computers, putting on and out their networking best, and showing up at decision-maker events:

Recently Laid-Off Colleague #2 picked up not one but two job leads sitting at a dinner meeting, as we all playfully bantered at considering an impromptu auction comparing the compensation / benefits packages of the two hiring authorities at the table.

The Rensselaer County Chamber of Commerce Annual Dinner at Franklin Plaza was an ingenuous myriad of activities designed to maximize the business interactions of the attendees with each other.   It was like Networking in Wonderland, with great food and great company.

So here's the uplifting update on one of them:  I called Recently Laid-Off Colleague #2 this week to let them know that they needed to formally apply for a position that interested them first before I could forward their resume' to the decision-maker as a pre-recommendation.  "Thank you anyway, but I already have a job!"  they exclaimed gleefully.  With a competitor, by the way.  I was thrilled for them, as Laid-Off Colleague #2 is both talented and a good soul. "Fabulous!!"  I replied.  "How did it happen?"

"At the Rennselaer County Chamber of Commerce Annual Dinner," Recently Laid-Off Colleague #2 continued, a bit incredulous.  "It was the 3rd job lead that night:  I had already applied to the job, and my mentor introduced me to the decision-maker.  I interviewed and I was hired within the week!" 

Textbook.  Imagine if Laid-Off Colleague #2 had decided not to show up at the RCCC Dinner?  Talk about gratitude for opportunities seized!

There's also gratitude for organizations like The Rennselaer County Chamber of Commerce, their great staff and members.  Clearly, these folks have been a contribution to both me and to my colleagues in so many ways.  Business is sown, nurtured and grown through association with this vibrant Chamber, and I (and now you!) have witnessed the recent proof!

The next day (reinforcing my belief that there's no such thing as coincidences), I was strolling with another dear friend and colleague after dinner, and I was introduced to one of their friends and colleagues.  Who happens to be Laid-Off Colleague #2's New Boss.  "You're lucky to get them, they're great," I shared.  "I know!"  New Boss replied.  "And I got the referral thanks to the Rensselaer County Chamber dinner!"  I smiled in delight.  When I hear the same nugget twice in the same week, I definitely take note.

Where have you shown up recently to connect with the decision-makers who are going to move your career / business forward?  Do you belong to an organization like the RCCC, where the people, the events and their connections make it all happen?

I hope to see you there -- as well as at other decision-maker events -- soon!

No comments:

Post a Comment